Saturday, September 8, 2012

Sept. 8 - Dalton reflection

I just watched young Dalton Sherman's keynote speech. I have a question: Do YOU believe you can train Cohort 16?! I believe you can! I believe I can grow as an educator through teaching and learning at Lindbergh. After watching this 9 year old deliver his message to the educators of Dallas, everyone, especially those in the education field, should be inspired.

This little boy's speech is inspirational in many ways. The sheer courage it took to stand up in front of 20,000 teachers, educators, and administrators is astounding. His presentation touched all those who attended and now who are watching him on YouTube. The impact of his delivery had the audience on their feet and listeners wanting more.

Dalton begins his speech by saying "I believe in me, do you believe in me?". This simple question asked with amazing conviction sets the tone for the entire speech. As an educator, I am reminded why I do what I do. I want to inspire my students to believe they can "do, be, create, dream, and become" whatever they want. It is my job to help them achieve this passion for learning and becoming their best. This has to begin with belief in themselves and a desire to be the best they can be.

Dalton points out educators need to believe, trust, and lean on our colleagues. This is where I feel my team at Sappington as well as those in Central Office are my biggest allies right now. In just the first month of this journey through my first year back teaching full-time, I have received the help and support  I need. This continuing support helps me feel confident in my ability to do my job.

Part of my job is to believe in my ability to help my students reach their fullest potential. I love how Dalton conveys that educators need to believe in themselves in order to help students do the same. It is imperative that my students feel I believe in them, and as Dalton contends, in some cases, I may be all they've got.

My goal is to help my students get to where Dalton is today-full of faith in themselves and their abilities and the belief that they can achieve whatever they set out to achieve. I want to give them the skills and strategies they will need to be successful. I know this will be a team effort with myself, my students, their families, Lindbergh, and our community. Together, I hope we can inspire them and give them the support they will need to get there.







1 comment:

  1. We are here to support your every move! It is much easier to take risks and let your students fly in a place like this.

    I wonder how many Daltons we have in our classrooms who are not as outspoken.

    ReplyDelete