Monday, November 12, 2012

"8 ways to use Facebook to enrich class" blog post

I read the blog post "8 Real Ways Facebook Enriched Ms. Shoening's First Grade Class" by Lisa Nielson. I also checked out some other posts on her "The Innovative Educator" blog. She posts daily. Most of them are short and make good points. The Facebook post was one of my least favorites, but I did find some uses for her tips. I am glad I went to it because she does have a good blog.

The worst thing about the Facebook blog was that blogspot stopped responding and the webpage had to be recovered every time I tried to scroll down! It was also written in July 2010 when Facebook was becoming more popular. As an older adult/educator I feel not many older parents are using Facebook. I feel that all eight points can be accomplished through my blog that the parents who do use technology are accessing.

The eight points she highlighted were:

1. Providing Families a Window to the Classroom
2. Celebrating Student Work
3. Sharing Events and Announcements
4. Using Facebook Notes to Update Parents
5. Using Facebook Notes to Share Student Writing
6. Having Private Conversations with Parents and Families
7. Use Videos to Share Tips, Advice, and Lessons to Parents and Students
8. Connecting with Other Classes

Other than the "Facebook Notes" tips, I feel I do these with my blog. Granted, I need to get better and post more, so these are points I want to be sure I am covering. I love using my blog to post pictures of student work and I have received great feedback from my parents on this. I also have a shutterfly account linked to my blog where they can view/order pictures for the scrapbookers out there! I want to include instuctional videos - this is my next blog goal. We will be starting multiplication soon. I think this would be a great place to start!

I think the use of the word "private" was not appropriate because I feel nothing on the internet is private. I questioned Ms. Nielson's credibility, which is what led me to her more recent posts. Nothing else has jumped out, so I will keep up with her blog.

My only other concern is with students getting on Facebook. I know many parents who do not want their younger children on it. I feel my blog is a safer place that parents can be more confortable letting their kids access.

No comments:

Post a Comment